8.10.2007

Sox Drawer: Moss back to PawSox; Pats game tonight

The much-maligned outfielder returns to minors for more seasoning
According to today's Globe the Sox have optioned outfielder Brandon Moss back to AAA after his less-than successful brief major league debut.

The 23-year old prospect replaced Eric Hinske on the team for the Angels series while Hinske took a leave of absence and went 1-7 at the plate and o-for 1000 in the field; his three miscues helped contribute to Boston's loss in Curt Schilling's return to the mound in Game 1 on Monday.

I'm not gonna crucify a young player who didn't perform well in a cup of coffee cameo, but with the stellar debut of Jacoby Ellsbury and the solid play of Jeff Bailey and David Murphy in their brief call ups, Moss' exploits were that much more magnified.

I think it's safe to say that Moss needs a bit more minor league seasoning before he's ready for the Big Show.

Tonight's Sox game will be pre-empted by the Pats
Sorry I didn't post at all yesterday but I, much like the team and the rest of the Nation, needed a break after that lengthy, late night series with the Halos.

Myself and the team had a day to regroup before tackling the Birds in B-More tonight, but unfortunately I might not be able to finish watching tonight's game until the wee hours of the morning, either.

That's because my good buddy Joe T. is taking me to the Bucs/Pats preseason contest at Ray Jay tonight.

You and I both know that preseason football games carry about as much weight as Amy Winehouse on Slim Fast, but this game will stand out for a few reasons:

1.) It's the debut of the 30-year-old, two-timing, bun-in-the-oven-having Tom Brady and his new band of receivers

2.)It COULD be the Patriots debut of Randy Moss, if he plays on the sore hammy he developed last week

3.) It's the first game since all-time good guy and great fullback, not to mention huge local fan favorite, Mike Alstott announced that he will not play this season and may never play again, and he's sure to get a ginourmous ovation when they announce him at the start of the game

4.) It's the debut of Joe T.'s new seat upgrades--from the field seats he had last season to the club seats he swapped for this season. And I'm lucky enough to break the seats in, against my beloved Pats no less.

So you see there are quite a few reasons to be excited about this game. Well, for me at least.

I'll be sure to tip back a cold one in honor of all my Boston buddies who can't be here to personally witness this historic event.

By halftime I'll probably be tipping them back in the parking lot as the scrubs take over and the crowd gets all misty-eyed at the reappearance of Vinny Testaverde in Tampa.

Go Sox/ Go Pats!

No comments: