9.27.2007

Sox Drawer: Paps & Lowell make national headlines

From an SI cover and accompanying article for Papelbon to an appearance on the nationally syndicated Jim Rome Radio Show, Sox players are making headlines off the field today

Earlier I expressed the disdain I felt when I opened my mailbox and saw Papelbon's steely glare peeking out at me from the receptacle. And honest to God if he blows out his shoulder or allows a game/series-losing home run in the playoffs, I'm cancelling my subscription the next day.

But I must admit the piece inside the jinxed cover was an informative read as Tom Verducci revealed some insight into items like the decision to return to the pen, the team-mandated pitching guidelines that followed his shoulder injury last season, and what outspoken teammate Curt Schilling thinks of the closer's intelligence.

Here's a few of the highlights:

-On informing Francona of his decision to return to the bullpen this spring

"Man, I'm not sleeping good. I know deep down in my heart this is not what I want to do. If you want to give me the ball in the ninth, I'd love to take it and go back in that role."

Tito's response: "Well, hell yeah!"

-Schilling on Paps' inability to grasp the subtle nuances of being a starter

"This [role] suits him. He's not exactly a charter member of Mensa, so he can just go right after people with two pitches...putting him back as a closer was a no-brainer."

Nice backhanded compliment, Schill.

-On the team's customized, technologically aided schedule used to accommodate his irritable shoulder labrum

...team doctors and officials began devising the Papelbon Program. It covered two pages and was divided into three parts: how often he could be used, a daily testing program and a custom shoulder-strengthening program. For instance, Francona was not to use Papelbon three days in a row, or even two days in a row if he was coming off a high pitch count. Nor could he use Papelbon the day after he had pitched more than one inning

Each day, when Papelbon reports to work, he sees [assistant trainer Mike] Reinhold and estimates the fatigue level of his shoulder on a scale of zero to five, with five being the most tired. Then Reinhold hooks him up to a strength-testing machine that supplements Papelbon's subjective score with an objective measurement of his shoulder strength. A report of the scores is logged along with Papelbon's recent usage patterns and presented to Francona and front-office officials. A summary advisement is included, which might give Francona clearance to use Papelbon aggressively or keep him from using the reliever at all.

Take those Joba Rules and shove em up your asses, Stankees.

-But the best part of the article was the comment Paps had regarding the monetary difference between being a starter and a reliever in the major league marketplace

"I've thought about that, and over my career, what's the difference between $80 million and $100 million? O.K.? Nothing."

Another reason to friggin love this guy.

As for Lowell's interview with Rome, the ever-hyperbolic host labeled it one of the best interviews he's ever conducted and the best baseball interview he could ever ask for.

For once the goateed goofball was right.

Lowell touched on a number of topics and provided candid and witty takes on each, from Manny's work habits to Drew's struggles to being an RBI machine. Her are a few of the best bits I can remember:

-On how he handles the pressure of playing in Boston

"I came from a place that would draw 6,000 fans [Florida Marlins] before we were winning. Here you're playing in front of a packed house every night...a bloop single sounds like a line drive. It makes you think you are a better hitter than you are...and I just try to embrace that."

-On batting in the 4-hole in Manny's absence

"I am fortunate enough to hit with a lot of men on base in front of me, and I feel if I don't drive them in I'm not doing my job. But we're a much better team with Manny hitting fourth than with anyone else on the planet."

-On Manny's preparation

"Everyone thinks he shows up with his dreads, eats a hamburger, and starts hitting in a game. he does more pre-game preparation than anyone I've known, from catching miniature baseballs to improve his reflexes to attempting to catch wiffleballs to improve his hand-eye coordination...he's a freak"

-On Drew's struggles and perceived lackadaisical attitude

"J.D. is so even-keeled that he can handle the scrutiny & criticism better than most...he reminds me of Derrek Lee with the Marlins...this is just his first year in the AL; next year he will be good, when he gets that one season under his belt. I had never even faced Roy Halliday before my fist season in the American league (last year)"

I happen to agree with him 100% on this one

-And finally Rome asked him how he felt about breaking Butch Hobson's club record for RBIs by a third baseman last night

" I didn't even know about the record until i was at like 107 and someone mentioned to me the record was 111. I was surprised--I thought it would be more like 140 with all the great players they've had at that position. But once I knew I was close, i wanted to break it. it's a great honor."

No, Mike, it's a great honor to have had you play for the Sox these last two seasons, and if this should happen to be your last season in Beantown, you will always be remembered as both a clutch hitter and a class act.

No comments: