4.21.2008

Game Preview: Brunch with the Bosox

Gabbard (1-0, 2.41) vs. Buchholz (0-1, 6.75)
Game 4 of 4 11AM NESN/Extra Innings

The Minuteman is as much of a symbol of Patriot's Day as orange slices and cold ones

It's that time again, New Englanders - Patriot's Day/ Marathon Monday, a.k.a the regional holiday that is as much an excuse to party and watch sports as it is to honor the memory of the Battle of Lexington & Concord.

When I tried to explain to my Florida-born son why the Sox were playing at 11:00 in the morning, I told him it's a local holiday in the area and the Sox always play at that time while the Boston Marathon is winding up downtown.

The first thing he asked me was "do the kids have off from school?"

"Yup, it's a big day up there" I responded.

"You were lucky to grow up there" he replied.

And I realized how right he was.

Growing up in the area I know we looked forward to Patriot's Day as much as any other holiday, like Christmas, Thanksgiving or Memorial Day. We would either head to a spot on the Marathon trail and watch the runners pass by, head down to Kenmore to get caught up in the excitement of the race and the game, or head to the local "Qs" (quarries) to down a few kegs and do what rambunctious teens will do when given a Monday off towards the end of a long school year.

Now the only way I recognize the day is if I happen to get laid off around this time, which unfortunately just happened to me last week.

But I'm trying to look on the bright side. I've got the game on the baseball package, the race on Versus and a couple of keg (cans) close at hand.

If only I had taken my son out of school, he could see what it was like growing up in the Hub. Minus the lousy weather and crowds.

GO SOX.

No comments: