5.06.2007

Sox fall to Twins despite Tavarez besting Santana

Minnesota 2, Sox 1
WP: Santana (4-3)
LP: Tavarez (1-3)
SV: Nathan (8)
HR: none

RECAP:
I'm not even going to pretend that I saw any of this game. I could do like some bloggers do and just glean the highlights from SportsCenter & a bunch of web sites, but I'm not going to do that.

I'm too tired.

In the last 12 hours I coached my son's baseball team in the 90 degree heat, attended a wedding on the beach- in said 90 degree heat-, danced the night away at the reception, and then came home and crashed on the couch just in time to catch the DeLa Hoya/Mayweather fight.

If you saw that fight you can understand why that Ambien-inspired travesty, plus a combination of a few too many Bacardi & Cokes (ahem, open bar) has made me a little groggy and left me with no desire to replay back the game on the DVR. Normally I would do that in the morning and give a review then, but we're headed to luxurious Tropicana Field in the A.M. for Little League Day at the Trop, and by the time I get home from that I'm not going to feel like watching Sunday's game, never mind tonight's.

But I digress. Or I'm babbling. Anyway, from what I gather the Sox had a pretty rough time of it tonight at the Metrodome this evening. Julie Tavarez actually out pitched Johan Santana- let me write that again, just so I know I'm not hallucinating from the rum- Julie Tavarez out pitched Johan Santana, yet the Sox stranded 12 baserunners and couldn't crack the solid Twins bullpen.

It's too bad I missed this one because it sounds like it was a real thriller; Minny scored its two runs on a fielder's choice groundout and an infield single, while Boston plated its only run on a ground-rule double. Yawn.

Long story short, Santana only lasted five innings but the Twins bully shut down the Sox lineup for the rest of the game, and Boston dropped a game in which a scrub starter out-pitched a two-time Cy Young winner

Glad I missed it.

RECORD: 19-10

AL EAST: Up 5.5 games on 3 teams

UP NEXT: @ MIN 2P EST
Schilling vs. Ponson ( I shouldn't have to watch that mismatch!)

No comments: