5.06.2007

Sox, Schill hold of Twins to take series

Sox 4, Twins 3

WP: Schilling (4-1)
LP: Ponson (2-4)
SV: Papelbon (10)
HRs: None
Soxbox

RECAP:
Just call me Usher, because this is my confession, part II: I didn't see today's game, either.

I kind of hinted at that prospect yesterday, but I just want to get it out there so nobody thinks I'm trying to fake it.

No it seems as if the rigors of attending a Little League game, a wedding, and a major league baseball game with thousands of exuberant Little Leaguers in a span of 27 hours is not conducive to catching up on missed ballgames.

It is conducive to catching up on missed sleep, though, which is what I did when I got home from the Rays game today. Well, not sleep, exactly, I think it's called collapsing.

When I awoke from my brief slumber I checked out the vital stats of the game and was relieved to see that the Sox hung on for the win. I knew they hung on because at the Trop when the scoreboard flashed 4-0 Boston, everyone and their son told me, knowing that I am the resident Sox nut on our team.

After perusing the box score, recap and highlights I noticed a few things:

1.) Schill pitched a whale of a game (6.2IP, 8H, 3ER, 2BB, 7K) but was probably kept in there too a bit long. He was cruising with a shutout through 6, then fell apart in the 7th, when he allowed 2 runs and Oki gave up the third, which was added to Curt's tab. Then again,I didn't see the game, so I may be wrong here.

2.) Dust Pedroia finally had a good f-ing day at the plate: three hits and run scored, two of the hits were doubles. Maybe that '50 at bats' shit Tito was spewing last week wasn't so wacky after all.

The ironic thing is that the guy who is supposed to replace Pedroia at second base, Alex Cora, started at short and contributed 2 more hits and scored 2 runs to raise his average to .405, so now I guess it's Lugo who should watch his back.

Who are we kidding? If they wouldn't sit a kid in his second year making $380k, they sure as hell ain't gonna bench a $36 million dollar free agent. Suddenly the Curse of Rentanerror is looking mighty strong at that spot.

3.) Thankfully, Jonathan Papelbon is as healthy and dominant as ever. With that blown save last week, and the three days of panic & worry it created in the Nation, we had to be thinking "okay, let's see some signs of him not being alright."

Apparently none are there as the menacing glare and crackling fastball are still as nasty as advertised. Thanks to Paps having everyone's back, on a day when Schill gave another quality start but faltered late, and the normally unhittable Okajima allowed a run to score (although he would induce MVP Morneau to ground out after that), the Sox came out Minnesota with a series win and head into the offday tomorrow on a high note.

I'll have a full recap on this series tomorrow, that way maybe I'll know what the hell is going on. I feel so out-of-the-loop.

Now what's this I hear about Clemens signing with the Stanks?

RECORD: 20-10

AL EAST: Up 5.5 games on NYY (they're coming baaaack)

UP NEXT: Off Monday; @ TOR Tue

No comments: