7.21.2007

Boston crushes Chicago--and I missed it.

BoSox 10, ChiSox 3

Why is it that every time I have to miss a game it turns out to be a memorable Sox victory?

May 13th, Mother's Day--couldn't get away from the holiday festivities to catch the game (it turns out wives are funny about that shit), and it didn't look like a big deal when I heard the Sox were losing 5-0 to Baltimore late in the game.

Good, I half thought, I'm not missing anything great.

Uh, not so fast. The Sox would end up scoring six runs in a miraculous ninth inning to pull off one of the most stirring comebacks of the season and probably in Sox history.

I'm not sure, though, cause I missed it.

Sat, June 16th--while I'm in NYC for my sisiter's wedding, having a grand old time and falling in love with the city I've despised for all these years, the Sox and Giants play a classic in Fenway.

Daisuke Matsuzaka fanned eight batters in seven innings, Manny hit a homer run in the fourth that accounted for the only run of the game, and Hideki Okijima struck out Barry Bonds with the game on the line in the eighth, to the delight of the Faithful and RSN.

Except me, who missed the game (didn't even DVR it--idiot!!)

Fri, July 20th--as I lounged on a 66-ft yacht in the Gulf of Mexico, honoring the life of my late, great friend Chicago Bob Allen, who passed away from a brain tumour one year ago to the day, Boston got busy putting an end to a miserable 3-8 slide that had sliced its cushy 12-game division lead to a mere seven games in two weeks.

With ML wins co-leader Josh Beckett on the mound, Boston exploded for 10 runs including a three-run triple by Coco Crisp and a grand slam from Julio Lugo to crush the Pale Hose, 10-3.

From what I understand it could have been worse. The friggin umps apparently robbed J.D. Drew of a three-run homer in the first, ruling it a double instead, and Manny got thrown out at the plate on the odd play, which brought furious protests from Tito.

Didn't matter as Beckett shook off a three-run bomb by Jim Thome to record 10 strikeouts and his mates would go on to score more than enough runs to compensate for his mistake.

So in one fell swoop the Sox exorcised the demons of a three-game skid, overcame its maddening inability to get a big hit with runners in scoring position, and got Josh Beckett his ML-leading 13th victory on a raucous night at the Fens.

Too bad I didn't get to see it.

But at least this time I recorded it!

Oh, and I can't watch today's nationally televised FOX game because this is the last weekend my son is away and the wife and I are going to spend some time at Mad Beach getting plastered and baked. From the sun, that is.

So it looks like it should be another awesome Sox win today.

I'd better clear some space on the DVR.

No comments: