5.15.2007

Game Preview: Detroit @ Sox Gm 2

Verlander (3-1, 2.83) vs. Wakefield (4-3, 1.79)
7P Fenway

A study in contrasts. Senor Smoke meets Pick & Poke. High heat vs. slow & sweet.

The pitching matchup tonight can be called many things, but one thing's for sure, these two pitchers are about as opposite as Felix and Oscar.

Verlander is the strapping young hotshot with the 99-mph heater who led the Tigers to the pennant last season, posting a 17-9 record, winning a postseason game and earning the AL Rookie of the Year award.

Wakefield is a 14-year vet who is the longest tenured Red Sox and his best pitch travels at 68-72 mph. Yet at 40 years of age he owns the best ERA in the American League and has been the most consistent starter for Boston all season.

So the question is, which will conquer the other
, the hard-throwing newbie, or the soft-tossing grizzled vet?

In my pre-series prediction I picked Verlander to help halt Wake's modest 2-game winning streak, so I guess I'm sticking to that.

But I hope I'm wrong (as usual)

Go Sox!

No comments: